Monday, September 16, 2013

Sigan Adelante! (Week 7)

Hello family and friends! 

Bolivia is hotter than hell right now. I can say hell because its in the Bible and its how I feel. Its so humid and I take two cold showers a day and love it! What makes it even more interesting is in our only main meal of the day, lunch, our first dish is SOUP! Who the heck thought of that?!! I have no idea, but its pretty darn delish. After soup, we have rice and meat usually. Thats right, meat. Who knew Id ever like the taste? 

Regarding the packages and cards, the packages take about 2 months for me to get, and the cards come every few weeks, tambien. Please dont freak out or worry, but if I dont write a thank you email two months after youve sent it, Ill call the mission office. Thanks in advance for your cards and such! I love you all!

Spanish is coming along. Ive definitely had enough meltdowns to last a lifetime. Sometimes I just never understand what the people are saying and my roommates dont speak much English either. I thank God for my trials and just tell my companions my eyes are sweating because everywhere else is too. 

English class was so good! 20 or so people came! They really enjoyed it and I have a lot to learn on how to teach these people. 

Another weird story: This is from yesterday: So my companion is teaching this guy who really is kind of weird, but I liked him! I just had NO IDEA what he was saying so Í just looked around and BAM! A rooster hops on a chicken, the chicken screams, and babies are formed. So we are leaving the lesson, and I tell my companion how weird it is to see that, then right as I see two dogs next to each other, one dog sniffs the other´s behind and WABAM! Another few babies are formed. I kind of just stared for a bit then thought: Sex is NOT something that we should be doing on the Sabbath day! I may change my mind later, but as a missionary, it was just a prompting I felt I needed to tell you all. Love you!!

So we are hoping for a mother, Viviana, and her 3 children to be baptized this month. We dont know because she has a lot to work on, but it was awesome because last night she was confiding in me some trials she had been having and I had no idea what she was saying but I could tell she felt alone and I was so grateful for my huge cryfest I had a week ago that has helped me know that I am not alone. Trials are for a reason! After I said that, she tearfully told me: Yo quiero cambiar. That means, I want to change. Man, I totally lost it because THAT IS WHY IM HERE! Yeah, its hard. But I want to change people. 

My birthday was pretty great. Hna Willard (my Mission Mom) called at nighttime and it was great to vent and hear her stories from her first week in the mission. My comp made me a cool card and my other roommate made my a poster to share with you guys. Hopefully I can send it. The pensionista made chicken and rice for lunch which was cute AND she bought a cake. To top it all off, my columbian roommate cooked some meat and of course threw flour and eggs all over me. I hate that stuff. I would have rather they made some french toast with that flour and eggs, but nonetheless I smiled and didnt kill anyone. 

This year, I have decided that I want to spend my time as a 19 year old becoming converted. I want to know my Savior and become like Him. If any of you have time in the next few weeks, think of a profound moment when you were converted to the God. You dont have to be a Mormon to write it, you just have to love the Savior. Once you do that, please send it to my mom, and mom, if you could send one or two every few weeks, that would be great.

Ellyn wrote me a letter a few weeks ago and on the back it said SIGA ADELANTE which I had no idea what it meant so I just laughed. A few days ago, I was reading 1 Nephi 4 and verse 7 says, Nevertheless, I went forth. That translates into Segui adelante. What a tender mercy it was for me to know that my sister knows my trials. Nephi felt alone in that moment, but went forth. We all must do the same. 

I love you all so much. This mission is so hard. But I love it with all my heart. I love you all. I know that this gospel can change the lives of people. Please continue to pray for me. I need the strength to make it through the day. Pray for all the missionaries and people who have been prepared for our message.

Con amor,
Elder Risueño
P.S. Someone tell Laurel Evans HAPPY BIRTHDAY! She sent me a card, I got it in Peru, but I have no idea when my card will get to her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment