Sunday, December 29, 2013

The Blessed Angels Sing (week 21)

Hey Family!

Merry Christmas! Where the heck is time going? I just enjoy everyday and time just goes by so quickly. Who knew that attitude really changes everything? This week was super fun. On Wednesday, we had something called exchanges, which is where I got to change companions for a day! I went with my good friend Elder Gygi who was in the MTC with me. It was such a tender mercy to see how much we had improved in the past 5 months as missionaries. I just love life so much. We made some cookies! Thanks, mom! Speaking of, I got 3 pairs of pants today! And they are washable! And none was stolen! Thats so awesome for Bolivia. HAhahah. Thanks Bro Schenck, Sister Huebner, and Ash for the letters! Ill be sure to respond in the coming weeks. 

This past week I was pondering upon a hymn to use for this week´s email. As I read the lyrics to the hymns, I was suprised to see that almost every hymn sings of angels. The hope fo angels coming to a dark world declaring the birth of our Savior speaks to so many people as they fill their spirits with music. AS I think of angels that have brought me comfort in my life, my first thoughts come to my Grandpa Perry and Grandma Kathryn. These two have left this life and have come to comfort me in times of need. I will never forget such instances just a few months ago where I pleaded with my Father in Heaven to send my guardian angels to surround me and bear me up. The peace brought to my sould was unforgettable. But more importantly, I will never forget the mortal angels in my life. Many of you have strengthened me in some of my weakest times. I thank you with all of my heart. My invitation this week is to be an angel to one struggling. In his talk, The Ministry of Angels, Jeffrey R Holland declares that when we speak of those who are instruments in the hand of God, we are reminded that not all angels are from the other side of the veil. Some of them we walk with and talk with—here, now, every day. ...Indeed heaven never seems closer than when we see the love of God manifested in the kindness and devotion of people so good and so pure that angelic is the only word that comes to mind. 

As a missionary, I have the honor of being an angel to spread the gospel. This isnt a prideful declaration, but one taken from many counsels from the Lord that angels are sent to declare His word. This past week I have visited families in the middle of a nasty divorce, with kids who seem to have been forgotten, I have visited a man with cancer that is only 32 and has lost practically everything. Yes, these cases are sad, but the angels that walk with my companion and I change everything. This past week, not one of our investigators with a baptismal date came to church. My companion and I were awestruck. We have been the most obedient we could be, we are the best of friends, yet God doesnt see it fit to help these investigators get to church. Nevertheless, we remained faithful. A few hours later, we visited a friend of a member who lives in a home of people who cant walk. I dont know what its called in English. But in this Casa de Las Impedidas, we were able to teach her, and what a blessing she was to us! She has no family, she doesnt have anyone to take care of her, she wheels herself 40 blocks to sell chocolate to sustain herself. But who came to her aid? Members and missionaries. Not only my companion and I came to her aid. But members, too. And they made a great difference!
 My dear friends who are members, go with the missionaries. Be angels with them! Share the joy that comes from the Book of Mormon. We have been blessed with the tongue of angels to help people find the light that is in them, but which they simply cant find in themselves! Nephi taught us that when we are baptized and have received the gift of the Holy Ghost, we have the tongue of angels (2 Nephi 32:2 and 3.) Let us use that gift each day! But whether or not we have this gift, let us never lose the hope that comes from the blessed angels. One of the last prophets in the Book of Mormon, triumphantly shared this: 
“Has the day of miracles ceased?
“Or have angels ceased to appear unto the children of men? Or has he withheld the power of the Holy Ghost from them? Or will he, so long as time shall last, or the earth shall stand, or there shall be one man upon the face thereof to be saved?
“Behold I say unto you, Nay; for … it is by faith that angels appear and minister unto men. …
“For behold, they are subject unto [Christ], to minister according to the word of his command, showing themselves unto them of strong faith and a firm mind in every form of godliness. Moroni 7:35-37
I testify of the divinity of modern day angels. I invite you to search, ponder, and pray about angels and how you can be one the rest of your life. I promise that if you keep a prayer in your heart, asking the Lord to grant you ways to declare glad tidings of great joy, you will feel the love of God in your life continually. I close this letter with an angelic proclamation from It Came Upon a Midnight Clear.
Still thru the cloven skies they come
With peaceful wings unfurled,
And still their heav'nly music floats
O'er all the weary world.
Above its sad and lowly plains
They bend on hov'ring wing,
And ever o'er its babel sounds
The blessed angels sing.

Con amor,
Elder Risueño

P.S. Irene accepted the invitation to be baptized and we are hoping that either Christmas Day or the week after she will be baptized. :)

1st picture is with Elder Gygi and I! We made pancakes and ate them on the 5th floor balcony of his apartment! No joke!
2nd: We made cookies while serving a family and finished them at night!
3rd: You know how I said we eat meat ALL THE TIME? This is what I meant...
Lastly: Merry Christmas from Barrio Trompillo and Elder Gomez and Elder Risueño



No comments:

Post a Comment