Sunday, December 29, 2013

Merry Christmas! (week 22)

Family!

Is it already Christmas time? I seriously cant believe it. I feel like the weeks just go by so quickly here and I am just so happy. As I look back to where I began as a missionary and where I am now, I just could not be more grateful for the time I have to grow closer to my Savior, Jesus Christ. I love Christmas here in Bolivia. Yes, its super hard not accompanying all of the great talent in the US, but I did have some fun this week!

So Tuesday we had a Zone Conference with about 80 missionaries and our Mission President and wife. They spoke about how each day we have is our day to dedicate to the Lord. How we need him as much as we need bread! That was super funny and relevant because Bolivians eat bread like we gringos eat cookies! It was super spiritual, but I cant remember all that was said. What I do remember was the prayer I said to God thanking him for the most spiritual Christmas of my life. I also got to play piano! Hna Thorley and I played the Christmas Hymn Fantasy! Its a 4 handed piano piece that Grandma Nancy sent me! It was so fun to be able to share my talent when I really doubted that I would get to play something this year for Christmas. After that, we ate TURKEY for lunch! It was delicious and catered. And we got to eat lettuce, which is usually prohibited but it was okay from this catering company because they are safe! Yay! And after we ate, we sang Noche de Luz and let me tell you, there is not much greater power than 80 representatives of the Lord singing. I was so amazed and so touched by the power we had. 

Saturday was the ward Christmas party. It was set to start at 5, but didnt start till 7. Bolivian time! But it was still awesome. I got to play a few more numbers and just thank the Lord for what I get to do with piano. I love piano! Hna Thorley and I played again and it went well. 

Ready for the miracle of this week? If you remember, last Sunday I met Irene. We got her a baptismal date and everything. And if you remember, shes handicapped. Well, we taught her, painted her room, and she has just been flying through our lessons and remembering everything! Miracle! Well, while we were setting up for the activity, a member came to us and said that Hna Irene had expressed her concern about her baptism because the doctor doesnt recommend she get a part of her body wet that can get infected if touched by dirty water. Fetch, we thought. There went our Christmas Miracle. So Sunday, we brought her to church and she just loved it! It was so great! I loved wheeling her in and just sharing her with the ward! So we dropped by her house later in the day to finish the last lesson before she could be interviewed to be baptized. We expressed our concerns about her baptism and simply told her we didnt want her baptism to be something painful, but we wanted her to do it when she felt well! Ready for this? She simply said that she knew that her baptism was what God wanted and that she wanted to do it on Christmas Day because she knew that God would give her the strength to be healed, even for that moment. What Faith she has! I felt kind of guilty because I was the one wearing Christs name on my heart, but she showed more faith than I had! What a Christmas miracle she is. I ask that you keep her in your prayers this week. :)

On to this weeks message:
Over the past few weeks many Bolivians have had their Nativity scene set in their home, but something has been missing: Baby Jesus! According to tradition, they wait until midnight Christmas Day to put him in the manger, so that they can celebrate the exact time he was born. As I marvel at this age old tradition, I cant help but take this beautiful symbolism as personal application: Am I waiting to put Christ into my life until I think I am ready? Why cant I put Him as the centerpiece of my life right now? John Nicholson wrote:

Come, follow me," the Savior said.
Then let us in his footsteps tread,
For thus alone can we be one
With God's own loved, begotten Son.
The Saviors birth is monumental and is the single most important birth in history. Even though we celebrate His birth at the end of the calendar year, I hope that we will celebrate it in our hearts each morning. As we rise, let us covenant with our Savior to follow Him. The one gift I wish to offer each of you is just a few minutes to reexamine the importance of Christ in your life. I wish to talk about the subject of Grace yet again. It was just about 6 months ago that I shared a similar message before I left to serve this mission. Essentially, Grace is a power given by Christ, through the Atonement to strengthen us. Christ didnt suffer just so we could come to Him when we have big problems, but He suffered so that we could come to Him when life just seems to be drowning us in stress. Alma 7:11-12 states:




Here is a quote from this talk:
 It is one thing to know that Jesus Christ came to earth to die for us—that is fundamental and foundational to the doctrine of Christ. But we also need to appreciate that the Lord desires, through His Atonement and by the power of the Holy Ghost, to live in us—not only to direct us but also to empower us.

My dear family, how I wish each that each of you could come here to Bolivia and we could just walk and talk for a bit and counsel and enjoy Christmas together! But how much more grateful I am for a Savior who can walk with each of you perfectly. Jesus Christ didnt live the way He did so that we could only come to Him when we sinned; He lived the way He did so that when we need His help, He will be there to help us ¨be good and to serve beyond our own individual desire and natural capacity.¨ 

This week, I hope Christ is born in your hearts. Not just to be there for one day, but to be there forever. To live in us. To empower us. To keep this Spirit of Christ alive each day. But do that, we must come unto Him.

Come unto Jesus; He'll surely hear you,
If you in meekness plead for his love.
Oh, know you not that angels are near you
From brightest mansions above?

I testify that angels are near you. That our Savior Jesus Christ is here for each of us. I love you so much. Im so grateful for each of you in my life. Have a very Merry Christmas. 

Con amor,
Elder RisueƱo

No comments:

Post a Comment