Dearest family,
Joyeux Noel!! (I still miss French...) I hope everything is going well back at home and that you are all enjoying this amazing time. I love being a missionary. We continue to join the church in the He is the Giftproject (El es la dadiva) and we talk to people about Christ and invite them to watch a video and listen to our message (see christmas.mormon.org for more info). We have loved talking to people more than ever. I just wish to share my gratitude for my mission and for all that it has helped me become. There isn't one moment where I regret going on a mission. The mission has changed my life for eternity.Its been a bit crazy in the house. We had another companionship of Elders move in with us on Tuesday and so its the first time in over a year since Ive been with a total of 4 elders in my house. The house is still a little bit of a mess, but well fix that today. The good news is our house has 4 bathrooms, so we are putting them to use here.
So the news everyone was waiting for: I got a new companion. His name is Elder Peña. Hes from Chiclayo, Peru. (Yes, I asked Paola if she knows where is mom lives.) He's 25 years old, and has only been in the mission 7 months! He just finished training and has had a very successful mission thus far. He's humble and funny, and my best friend. I just wish to share my testimony of how transfers are always evidence that God knows me. Elder Peña is the person I want to become at the end of my mission. Now, since everyone's talking about giving service this season, I invite each of you to take some time to write Elder Peña a letter or something. He has learned a lot of English and he prays and bears his testimony in English each day, so don't worry about Spanish. Shortly before leaving on his mission, he baptized his mom, sister, and brother in law. But they don't know what a mission is. So he doesn't receive cards, doesn't receive money help, and is alone on this. So I would just love to show him that he is loved. At the end of my email, Ill post the address to the mission so you can write him. (He says he would love some chapstick if someone wants to send him some!)
So this week, I have had a lot of opportunities to serve and teach different types of people. I taught a man who excommunicated himself, we continue to help Brother John with his alcohol addiction, we taught a return missionary who feels he has let God down by not magnifying his priesthood, and I have been helping my companion as he gets used to being a Zone Leader and in an entirely new area. My personal gift to Christ this Christmas and this year is to help others see their divine potential. This comes from a talk by President Eyring entitled Help Them Aim High. Its a talk that changed my life. ElderEyring taught, ¨As you seek revelation to see gifts God sees in those you lead...you will be blessed to lift their sights to the service they can perform. With your guidance, those you lead will be able to see, want, and believe they can achieve their full potential for service in God´s kingdom.¨ All of the people I was able to serve this week have one thing in common: Each is a child of God. Each has the potential to become such a person that will want to dwell in Gods presence. But many people in general fall to quickly to Satan lies that its not worth it, or that they're not worth it. Maybe its easier to heed to the degrading voices in our lives because there aren't enough voices trying to build a soul. Were so busy trying to be the best that we forget about love. Christ lived a humble life and served others when he was born the King of Kings. It is my hope that we can be as parents with a new born child. It is my prayer that we may see others as they may become, not as they are. It amazes me that the same parents who adore their newborn babies end up belittling them but a few years later. How grateful I am for goodly parents who never let me think I wasn't worth it. I thank them for the best example of Christ-like love.
Bless all the dear children in Thy tender care,
Elder Risueño
(letters)
Elder Julio Peña
Bolivia Santa Cruz MissionCasilla de Correo 2042
(packages)
Elder Julio Peña
Bolivia Santa Cruz Mission
C/ Saavedra esq. Cochabamba
Torres Cainco, Blq Empresarial, Piso 9
Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz
Bolivia
PICTURES:
so here is the thanksgiving dinner we had! BBQ CHICKEN PIZZAAAA!!! THANKSGIVING!!!
then we had pique a lo macho on sunday with members. BOLIVIAN FAVORITE!!Grams sent me some money so Elder Bailey and I bought LLAMAHA shirts! LOVE!!!
the other is my new favorite bolivia shirt. COCA!
The other is my favorite jesus picture thus far.
AND MY NEW COMPANION!!! BEST FRIEND!
so the ones on the other are in our plane to santa cruz, the other is FRO YO!! the other is the view from the mission offices!
the first two are CINNABON!!! in the airport I bought the cinnabon with an OREO SHAKEEEE!!! love!
the third with with hermano jorge from last weeks letter!! MY GREAT FRIEND!!!
and the other is BONELESS CHICKEN WINGS!! I splurged for thanksgiving! I love my elders in the zone!! :)the third with with hermano jorge from last weeks letter!! MY GREAT FRIEND!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment