Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Let His Glory Round Us Shine

My loving family,
How is everyone? I sure hope y'all are getting ready for sissys homecoming. Just this morning I received her last letter to me from mission field to mission field and I definitely was filled with overwhelming gratitude for the greatest sister I could have ever asked for. She is by far my best friend I cant wait to be able to communicate with her more and receive her counsel in just two short weeks.
Quick update on my big toe nail: Pobrecito is not GROWING! So I am back to my old man sandals to wear for the next 3 months or so. Whatevs. I make it look classy.
So this week I had the opportunity to fly to Santa Cruz for a leadership council! How great it was to fly back ¨home¨ and see two of my old companions, Elders Chura and Gomez, and even my best friend from before the mission, Elder Wilkinson! It was a year and a half ago we met and spoke of that day when we would be zone leaders together. And here we are! What a great reunion. I also got to play piano for the conference and I just thank God for my talents. Many hearts were touched, including my own.
On the way home (after eating delicious CINNABON!) I prayed for an opportunity to share the gospel and I couldn't help but laugh as the man sitting next to me spoke to his friend about how he had been living in FRANCE for 2 years. Oh heck, I thought, here goes nothing. So he paused and I said Parlez-vous francais? And he responded Ouais. And there started the conversation. We ended up chatting in English, Spanish, and French the plane ride home and it was amazing. He was very open to the gospel and I know the Spirit touched his heart.
Conference was great! Yes, I loved the different languages and I think Elder Robbins of the 70 wins, along with Elder Jorg for the sassiness and directness. Holla.
So this week has been super interesting. Long story short, a lot of people have rejected me. And even with my last name meaning SMILEY. Its been rough, but has got me to my knees pleading for the Lord to direct me. I secretly love hardships like those because they let me really see the Lords hand in my life. I really had to take in what I teach. What I share. Everything. Because I saw that these peopleweren't seeing what I saw. And maybe it was because I needed to change some things. (A big shout out to the man on the bus this morning who told me I don't believe in the same Jesus as everyone else, and that Im not christian, and thank you mr. man for praying that God will lighten my path. And I hope you enjoyed my testimony because it can be more effective than bible bashing. Kill them withkindness. Thank you)
So one quick story to hopefully lighten your week. So last night after conference, and all the rejection Ive faced, I was ready to teach. We went to a family of recent converts and they spoke of how theydon't feel happy and life isn't like it was before they were baptized and it was rough. So we were led to focus on conversion. We looked up the defintion in the Guide to the Scriptures and its ALL FOCUSED on Jesus! On faith in Him. And so I just started questioning them about WHY JESUS and WHY we need to follow Him and they were excited and were like BECAUSE WE CAN BE SAVED ONLY THROUGH HIM and I said and does his suffering help ALL of us become redeemed or just some and they screamed ALL OF US and I said back firmly NO! ...and then it got quiet. And they were teachable. Jesus Christ did suffer so that all may be saved, but by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel (see Article of Faith number 3). Christ didn't just bleed from every pore so we could live and be happy, but so we could live and progress. So we could repent and repent and come to know the blessings of becoming perfect through many long years of struggles. If people don't want to change, they will have to suffer for their sins at one point or another. (See Doctrine and Covenants 18) We have a loving God who wants to see us change, and that's why we have this life to make those changes each day. Thanks to the Atonement, we can take the light of Christ, that comes from His atonement, and have that light shine about us. I repeat, the redeeming effects of the Atonement do apply to all, but they require the willingness to have continuous faith, to continually repent, to continually renew covenants after being baptized and receiving the gift of the Holy ghost, and continually enduring to the end. It is my testimony that the glory and happiness that comes from partaking of the Saviors atonement is a joy that will change our lives, and ultimately those around us. I finish with a hymn and invite each of us to meditate on the text:

Fill our hearts with sweet forgiving;
Teach us tolerance and love.
Let our prayers find access to thee
In thy holy courts above.
Then, when we have proven worthy
Of thy sacrifice divine,
Lord, let us regain thy presence;
Let thy glory round us shine.
For a dollar!
Elder Risueño

No comments:

Post a Comment