Thursday, August 28, 2014

The Unseen Power to Aid Me and You (Week 56)

Dearest family and friends!
This week has been SO HARD, but great. I cant explain how, after so many times just reflecting on the person I've become and the person I'm becoming, I just get on my knees and tell God, Thanks.
MY BIRTHDAY CAME EARLY THIS WEEK! I kind of laughed as I saw that my parents birthday package was not typical for a 20 year old. The main component was a scripture bag and a book called Angels by Donald Parry. OH MY GOSH! To all you latter day saint doctrine loving readers out there, my dad sent me an amazing book. I got about 2 hours to just read and soak in the beauty of this book. It has changed my life. I am constantly looking to see where the angels are leading me and to see their hands in my life
My companion and I are progressing so swimmingly. We are teaching great lessons and I feel like we are bringing the spirit in as strongly as we can through inspired and guided questions. We speak only a little bit now and let the questions and desires of our investigators guide our lessons. I can't wait to share more of this method when I get home. My district is enjoying the blessings too. We practice A TON on seeing where each investigator is on their conversion journey and how we can help them progress through scripture study. LOVE.
The only problem? The people reject our invitations and don't want us to visit them. We had an AMAZING lesson based on John 21 with an investigator on Friday and invited him to leave his work so that he could follow Christ more (works in a bar Saturday nights and Sunday mornings) and he said yes in the moment, but when Sunday came he said no and sadly we won't return to teach him. It's been like that all week. But I still work. I still smile. And I still search for new people and I still love the Lord. (A big thanks to mom, dad, and bishop for going to the temple on Friday. We had 6 lessons in about 6 hours that day. Thanks thanks thanks.)

This week I just wish to address each of you as my fellow missionaries. Each of you, I hope, is trying to know God on a more personal level, and in turn share that love with others. It's not an easy task. I have learned that so clearly this week. But how grateful I am for the comfort that comes from an amazing talk called Missionary Work and the Atonement by Elder Holland. He shares with us the following:
¨The Atonement will carry the missionaries perhaps even more importantly than it will carry the investigators. When you struggle, when you are rejected, when you are spit upon and cast out and made a hiss and a byword, you are standing with the best life this world has ever known, and the only pure and perfect life ever lived. You have reason to stand tall and be grateful that the Living Son of the Living God knows all about your sorrows and afflictions. The only way to salvation is through Gethsemane and on to Calvary. The only way to eternity is through Him--the Way, the Truth, the Life.¨
To those of you who are suffering in whatever manner, I remind you that you are surrounded by angels who love you and are watching over you. They are sent there by direction from the One who loves you more than anyone, your Heavenly Father. My simple invitation to you comes, as usual, in the form of a hymn entitled, Let Us All Press On:
We will not retreat, though our numbers may be few
When compared with the opposite host in view
But an unseen powr (ANGELS!!!) will aid me and you
In the glorious cause of truth.
My fellow missionaries, Let us all Press on LOOKING FOR THE ANGELS IN OUR LIVES! That's what I want you all to know. That I love my Savior. I love what He has done for me and what He continues to do for me. I will not give up, shut up, or let up until I have stayed up, stored up, and paid up for the cause of Christ. I must go till He comes, give till I drop, preach till all know, and work till He stops me and when He returns for His own, He will have no problem recognizing me. (See Fellowship of the Unashamed by President Eyring. And memorize it.)
For a dollar!
Elder RisueƱo

No comments:

Post a Comment