Monday, February 3, 2014

Search, Ponder, Pray, and SHARE! (Week 25)

My dearest family,

Im super sorry about what happened last week with the whole letter. We had problems with the internet location, with the time for internet and so many other things. But this week Im back to normal so YAY!

Ill try and send the pictures of the hand written letter I wrote last week so I wouldnt forget what happened the past week. Elder Chura, my companion from La Paz is amazing and we are working hard. We enjoyed delicious ice cream and BBQ Chicken pizza for NYE so dont worry. We also had some fun with some food not going to well about a week ago. We definitely enjoyed some bathroom trips and laughs. You have to laugh at the fact that our dueño, or renter, is the Spanish version of Tulas Mom from My Big Fat Greek Wedding. No Joke. Its the best. She even gives us really gassy food. Thats not in the movie, but it should be. 

Elder Chura LOVES to exercise. Which, yall know that isnt too good for me. My favorite exercise activity is called the sleeping sit up. Its where you go from your bed to the floor, with your blankets on, and you do sit ups with your eyes close. Its pretty great, except Ive had too many accidents where I go down from a sit up and sleep a little longer. Hence, weve made some changes as a companionship. We now eat a TON of fruit. Bolivia thrives with delicious fruits. We cant eat strawberries, but cherries, bananas, apples, peaches, pineapples and the lovely Hachachairu! Its a fruit that you suck on, then spit out. Definitely weird and nasty, but crazy aweswome! Weve even gone running at the park a few times! I decided to time myself one time around the park and I went a whole 2 minutes without stopping! Believe it! I then rested for about 10 minutes after that. One step at a time, family, one step at a time.

We had a CRAZY funny lesson last Monday. So we went to teach a part member family and we had a great lesson plan, but before we got to it, we had to answer a question about why we celebrate Halloween. WHAT? Yes. We did. Our recent convert, Hno Adolfo, had a pamphlet from another church that showed why Halloween was bad and he was confused as to why we celebrate it. I couldnt help from laughing and my companion took the reins because no matter how I explained how it wasnt bad, he didnt understand it. The lesson came down to how we feel during the celebrations of Halloween. In Moroni 7:17 we learn that that which is good comes from God! So if we are celebrating Halloween with our families and eating candies and NOT worshiping devils, we are good to go! Remember that, my future missionaries! 

Tuesday I got another crazy bout of food stuff. I dont know what I ate, but it was awesome because I felt like dad in that I had to go to the bathroom BADLY all day long. oooh it was crazy. But I kept thinking of how Dad is still sick and continues to walk with me here in Santa Cruz. Im sure he was with me during those moments! 

Another crazy moment happened to be when we were talking with our angel convert, Hna Irene who was baptized Christmas Day and WABAM! Poop landed on my comp. And it was not normal poop. Definitely food problems with the bird, too. We definitely enjoyed a good laugh. 

This week, I wanted to thank those of you who have served my friends who dont have family writing them. Elder Vallejo, my friend who served with me in my first area, is now with me, too! He got transferred here last week. And I was here when he received his first package of his mission! I was also with him when he opened his presents from his Secret Santa. Bremmer family, thank you for making his life. I couldnt be happier to see him feel loved all the way from the USA. To the others who have sent or will send, thank you, as well. This is how missionaries live. And also, thanks for the package for me, too. Starbursts, Skittles, Hot Cheetos, chocolate, and more. I was definitely happy. And it helped me when I didnt have ice cream in the house. Oh, and I cant forget the mustaches! Pictures to come soon!

Yesterday, was another Dad themed day! I got to go to the Family History Center with the same part member family from Halloween lesson. Hna Regina is super baptist and has no desire to leave her church, but she doesnt understand temples. Last night we worked on her family history and she learned indexing and I just lit up with sheer joy to feel the angels and my dad with us! Yay for Family History! And I cant forget about my Nana Moss who is a Family History missionary, too! Thank you to all who participate in that program.

Todays message is centered on the blessings that come from the Book of Mormon. This past week, we have been pounded with questions regarding the Bible, where our power to baptize comes from, and so many other encounters where people want answers from the Bible. I hate contention. I just want to plug my ears when I feel that someones angry. So I usually let my companion take the reins. This week I studied the Bible. I found ways to respond, but I wasnt too happy. I read Preach My Gospel, a manual for members to read about missionary work, and there arent too many answers to help us with that situation. But what does it have? An entire chapter on how we can answer these questions with the Book of Mormon. I shared with Hna Regina this week that her church is only missing something. In the introduction of the BofM we read that it contains the fulness of the everlasting gospel. But people want the Bible. WHY wont they read the Book of Mormon? Why wont they pray to know its true. I think its because to them its just a book.Chapter 5 of the said manual provides many answers to people who have burning questions about life. These answers are found in the Book of Mormon. Maybe people wont read the book of Mormon because they simply dont know what the chapters have to offer. What we need to do is read it with them and show them that  we atalk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we bprophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our cchildren may know to what source they may look for a dremission of their sins.

That is in the Book of Mormon. That shows them a ned to read it. Maybe it would help if we remembered the steps of knowing that the scriptures are true:
I love to read the holy scriptures,
And, ev'ry time I do,
I feel the Spirit start to grow within my heart-
A testimony that they're true. 

Search, ponder, and pray
Are the things that I must do.
The Spirit will guide, and, deep inside,
I'll know the scriptures are true.

Brothers and sisters, how can we expect our friends to search the scriptures if they dont know what to look for? How can we expect them to feel the Spirit if they think a Spirit is a ghost that scares?  This week my invitation for each of us comes from a chapter in the Book of Mormon that teaches us where we can find joy and peace. it says:
 if ye have known of his goodness and have atasted of his love, and have received abremission of your sins, which causeth such exceedingly great joy in your souls, even so I would that ye should remember, and always retain in remembrance, the greatness of God

For those of you who have tasted of this joy, remember those feelings and share them with a friend! Simply invite your friend to read the screiptures with you. Find the questions that they want answered, and search the scriptures for that answer. I promise that as each of us remnembers the blessings that come from serching, pondering, praying, and SHARING the scriptures, we will receive strength to fight our daily battles. To reach our goals. To exemplify the Christlike attributes within us. 

Have a good week, everyone. We are working with a few people. But powerful people. They need help learning to work. They need to understand the importance of the Book of Mormon. We hope to baptize a 22 year old, Carlos, this February 8th. He needs to get to church. Please also pray that we will continue to find more people who need the gospel. I love you all.

Con amor, Elder Risueño

No comments:

Post a Comment